- It’s the first cool day of the summer!!! 😀 I’m so happy – I can breathe again! Forecast says it should be like this until Saturday when it’ll start to climb day by day until it’s again 30 on Tuesday next week. I just hope there won’t another stretch of uninterrupted heatwave for another month or month and a half going into August.
- This site seems slow/unresponsive today. Hope it’s nothing serious. Activated Cloudflare again on all sites – it seems to get slow after a couple of months every time, so I’ll deactivate it for a while, and when I reactivate, it’s good again.
- My laptop seems slower after the last couple of Windows 10 updates, and the mouse got sort of jerky after the latest update. Trying to decide if I should re-install Windows 10 from scratch but I don’t really want to. I wonder if it’s that my laptop is getting too unpowerful for Windows 10 (according to the minimum specs for W10 it shouldn’t be anywhere near too weak) or if it’s just the typical Windows crap when it has upgraded itself to a new version multiple times like has happened before and installing the newest version cleanly always solved that. It’s stupid – I’ve installed multiple upgrades of Linux Mint when it offers them, and Mint never gets weird and buggy and jerky – it’s as smooth as ever.
This was posted to the thefridayfive Livejournal community.
1. What sign marks the end of the summer for you?
It’s been 30+ years since I was in school, but I still feel that when the schools start in August the summer is over. No matter how many summery days we still have after, once the school starts, it’s over. I hated school so much that schools start=summer is over got wired in my brain and there’s been nothing to replace that since.
2. What plans, if any, do you have for the rest of the summer?
Right now I’m having trouble seeing past tomorrow – we’ve been in heatwave since like mid-May, and everything I can try and do is to survive that. I hate it, loath it. Weather forecasts say that tomorrow is the last heatwave day for now, but then again it has said that many times before so I’ll believe it when I’m living it. Until the heat goes back down to normal 20-24 Celcius (which is still a little too hot for me, but is pleasant in shade and I can still do things outside unlike now) and we get some good rains, I’m just hunkering down and surviving this horrible summer.
3. How would you describe your summer/winter so far – too hot, too cold, too wet, too buggy or what?
Summer and it’s been abysmally horrific. So hot I can barely breathe since about the middle of May.
4. Summer often means open windows and the sharing of conversations, music, games and so forth with everyone. What sort of neighbor are you? Loud or considerate?
A considerate one, I hope! During the day I don’t really care – there’s enough noise from neighbors and kids playing that my music/tv etc. can be on my normal (which isn’t ever booming loud) and it won’t be different from anybody elses. But at night I turn down the volume, in hopes that it won’t be too loud for others. I’ve never gotten complaints so I guess I’ve been doing okay.
5. Aside from spouses and pets, have you had any trouble with pests recently?
No spouse or pets, and this summer has been delightfully bug free! I suppose if somebody held a gun to my head and demanded I name something good about this ghastly summer, that would be the thing – that and strawberries.
1. What was your favorite past time in high school?
Well I only went to high school for three months before I dropped off (it was like peruskoulu/primary school (ages 7-15) which I loathed), and most of those months I was absent. But at that age my fave thing was talking about Star Trek and other scifi with my best friend. Favorite thing I did when I was alone though was reading, and it still is.
2. What is your all time favorite board game/card game?
I’m not interested in these and haven’t played in 30+ years. When I was a kid I remember we played as a family occasionally and it was fun enough, but I’ve no idea about the names of the games.
3. What is the last movie you saw at the theatre and what did you think of it?
I’m not sure… I think maybe The Queen? IMDB says it came out in 2007 here in Finland. I went to see it with my Mom – we’re both huge Helen Mirren fans! I liked it because Helen Mirren and she’s always awesome.
4. What is something (no matter what kind of mood you’re in) that makes you happy the moment you do it, see it, or hear it?
Do – painting, and bookbinding, or when I’m writing and get into the zone. See – our Beagle when she was alive, all worries fell off me the moment I saw her, she was always so happy to see me. It was just a total mutual love fest 😀 I still get happy whenever I see a Beagle when I’m out and about. Hear – certain music: my favorite tracks from The Piano and The Last Of The Mohicans soundtracks, pitter patter of rain outside.
5. Do you believe that crop circles are made by human or alien?
I want to believe they’re alien, but I don’t think I can bring myself to fully believe that.
- Heatwave: please bugger off. I promise you I won’t mind! 😯
- I tend to think black ink is boring, but my Lamy AL-Star Turmaline, with an M nib, and Pilot Iroshizuku Take-sumi are a lovely combination! I my favorite black so far out of all the ones I’ve tried. Lovely to write with and looks great. I love all but one of Iroshizuku inks I’ve tried so far: Kosumosu, Momiji, Yama-budo, Murasaki-shikibu, Kon-peki and Take-sumi. Tsuki-yo I didn’t like the color but it wrote just as well as the others. I’ve got the 15ml bottles of Yama-budo, Momiji and Kon-peki, and I’m salivating to get also Kosumosu and Murasaki-shikibu. I also got samples of Ku-jaku and Syo-ro, but haven’t tried them yet. All the Iroshizuku inks I’ve tried behave beautifully, so well that I want to try all of them – even colors I’m usually not crazy about. I’d love to get the bigger bottles, but they’re expensive as far as I’m concerned and anyway, too big for me – they’d propably last me a life time just them. So I’m very happy that penstore.fi sells the little bottles
- Chocolate mud cake (the Finnish/Swedish version which is sticky and runny in the middle), fresh whipped cream and fresh strawberries… delish 😀
- A few weeks ago I had eight library books home I hadn’t read. I feel like I haven’t been reading that much lately, but now I somehow have only two books I haven’t started yet, and only four all in all, two of which are actually new that I just got them this week. Have I been stealth reading or what because I really don’t feel like I’ve read four books in the last couple of weeks but I checked the summaries and rembered all of them, so clearly I have?!